I'm proud of completing my novel in February, but I'm most proud of conceiving and completing and launching my e-book, The Graceful Return: Relish Your Journey After You've Come Home.
After I came back from my year-long trip, I found it hard to get a grip on my new reality. I sensed that others might go through the same thing.
People returning from the Peace Corps or other service abroad, those being returned home after a stint in the company's international office, students coming home from a year abroad...we all face that challenge of integrating what we just experienced with our new lives back home.
I'm also proud of the cover that I designed. It's been my challenge to bring a more visual element into my work, and this wasn't easy. I observed the creative process full-on:
- getting the idea that I could do the cover myself
- my insistence that it had to be artistic, in order to reflect the premise that art-making approaches can help process the journey
- realizing I had no clue how to do that
- trying a few things
- getting feedback that indicated I was striking out
- brainstorming with Elizabeth to get a better sense of what I wanted
- trusting it would work out
- bringing it all together
- executing it, photographing it
- getting positive feedback on the cover
- finally, celebrating.
I believe that living the creative process through making things is such a valuable experience. I want others to have the gift of their creativity as a path to self-understanding.
That's why I wrote this book.